Travel to Croatia


croatiaflagTravel to Croatia can be an exciting adventure. The Republic of Croatia is close to becoming part of the European Union and has a strong relationship with the United States. You will find a wide variety of tourist facilities throughout Croatia during your stay.

U.S. citizens do not need a visa to stay in the country for up to 90 days within a 6-month period. This span of time starts on the day of entry, and may be 90 consecutive days or a total number of days within six months. The government of Croatia will not extend your visa past 90 days. If you know you'll be staying longer than 90 days, you must apply for an initial temporary residence permit before you leave for Croatia. The initial temporary stay permit is good for up to one year.

You'll need to submit your application for temporary residence in person at either the Embassy of the Republic of Croatia in Washington DC or the Consulate General of the Republic of Croatia office. These are located in one of the following cities: Chicago IL, Los Angeles CA, New York NY, Saint Paul MN, Seattle WA, New Orleans LA, Pittsburg PA or Kansas City MO. Each office handles permits for a range of states. You can find the application form on the website of the Embassy of the Republic of Croatia in Washington DC.

Along with the application, you must submit two passport photographs and a valid passport. Check your passport expiration date to ensure it will not expire during your stay. You must also show that you do not have a criminal record. A notarized background check, covering the past 6 months, will suffice.

To show that you can support yourself financially during your stay, show some proof of your financial health such as copies of bank statements or other financial documentation. You must also prove that you have medical coverage that applies to residency in other countries. Additionally, you will need to show that you have a place to stay in Croatia. A lease agreement or other documentation showing proof of ownership or rental is acceptable.

This is very important: You must have copies of all documents translated into Croatian by a certified translator.

Croatia requires that you explain why you need to stay past the 90-day period of a typical visit. You must submit documents that explain and prove why you want a temporary residence permit. Some examples are a work permit, a letter from an authorized institution that explains your role in scientific research, or documents that verify that your acceptance into a university within the Republic of Croatia.

The cost of an initial temporary residence permit is currently $101.00. The method of payment varies, so check with the consular general office servicing your area. They also will be able to answer any additional questions you may have about your planned travel to Croatia.

Visit often to learn more information from our updated Travel to Croatia.

2009 - 2010 ©, All rights reserved.